HC Court Report banner
County Judge's Office Chief of Staff Isaac V. Sulemana.
County Judge Richard F. Cortez' Chief of Staff Isaac Sulemana.

Commissioners Court votes in support of an MPO merger


Commissioners Court voted unanimously in support of the merger of the three Rio Grande Valley Metropolitan Planning Organizations, which include the Hidalgo County MPO, Brownsville MPO, and Harlingen-San Benito MPO.

The resolution is the first step to making the merger a reality and served as a precursor to presenting a Re-Designation Agreement to Commissioners Court at a future meeting, said Precinct 2 Commissioner Eduardo "Eddie" Cantu, who made the motion.

"It took a lot of work from a lot of people to come up with an agreement that is fair and equitable for everyone," said Hidalgo County Judge Richard F. Cortez, acknowledging Hidalgo County MPO Director Andrew Canon and TxDOT Pharr District Engineer Pedro "Pete" Alvarez, who were both in the audience.

A Re-Designation Agreement is required by federal law to effectuate the consolidation of MPOs, said Cortez' Chief of Staff Isaac Sulemana, who presented the item.

According to Cortez, the Rio Grande Valley is on the threshold of becoming the state's fifth largest MPO, "which will allow us to access millions in transportation dollars that will address traffic congestion and ensure that our interstates, highways, and local roads can handle our area's continued growth."

Currently, the state's top four MPOs split 80 percent of the transportation funding, while the other 21 MPOs in Texas share the remaining 20 percent.

"It's a great day for our region," said Cantu.

Precinct 1 Commissioner David L. Fuentes expressed appreciation for the collaboration among all concerned.
 
"The regionalization of the MPO is beneficial to our entire area," Fuentes said. “It makes us one of the largest MPOs in the state and opens up access to discretionary funds for road projects."


 
4th Tuesday graphic

The April 23 Commissioners Court meets at 2 p.m.


Next week's Commissioners Court falls on the fourth Tuesday of the month, which means both Drainage District #1 and Commissioners Court will meet in the afternoon. The Drainage District Board meets at 1:30 p.m., followed by Commissioners Court at 2 p.m.


 
Juvenile Justice Center staff proposes grant application.
Juvenile Justice Center Director Maryann Denner and Probation Officer Rudy Gonzalez Jr.
 

Second Chance Grant will improve communication between incarcerated parents and their children


Probation Officer Rudy Gonzalez Jr. received approval from Commissioners Court to apply for a grant that will improve the communication between incarcerated parents and their minor children.

The three-year grant is designed to provide counseling services to children and parents while the parents are incarcerated. 

"The Second Chance grant will allow our staff to address emotional and behavioral problems in children," said Gonzalez. "Communication is key, and we hope to reconnect the children to their parents as they become reunited." 


 


Did you miss today's meeting?
Watch it at 9 p.m. 
Thursday on KMBH Ch. 10
or on the county's YouTube Channel!


If you missed today's meeting, you can view it on our county website or YouTube Channel by clicking hereYou can also watch today's Commissioners Court and Drainage District meetings on KMBH TV, cable channel 10, on Thursday at 9 p.m. Or watch it on Friday morning at 10 a.m. on your local school district channel 17.


The next regular meeting of Commissioners court will be on 
Tuesday, April 23
The Drainage District Board of Directors meets at 1:30 p.m. followed by Commissioners Court at 2:00 p.m.
Meetings are held in the Commissioners Courtroom, located on the first floor of the 
Courthouse Annex III at 100 E. Cano St. in Edinburg.  

View meetings and find other news and events videos on our
Hidalgo County YouTube Channel.
 
To view a copy of the agenda and related backup documentation for this meeting, visit the county website at www.hidalgocounty.us.
 
Powered by CivicSend - A product of CivicPlus