Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Highlights from Hidalgo County Commissioners’ Court Meeting on December 7, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASETuesday, December 7, 2010
Hidalgo County Commissioners’ Court met in session today and considered an agenda that included the following highlights:
• LZ:RGV – Commissioners’ Court approved a motion to support LZ:RGV, an event to honor Vietnam veterans and give them a proper welcome home. County Judge Ramon Garcia remarked that it was likely that “every family in the county was impacted by Vietnam.” Event organizers will ask Commissioners’ Court to approve a proclamation in support of the event in early 2011. The public is encouraged to submit their stories and pictures online at www.lzrgv.com for inclusion in the living memorial tribute. LZ:RGV is scheduled for April 9, 2011 and is free to the public.
• County Toy Drive – Hidalgo County departments and offices have pledged to donate toys to 191 children in the County Toy Drive, benefiting 314 children that were affected by Hurricane Alex and related river flooding over the summer. Each member of Commissioners’ Court agreed to sponsor the remaining children to ensure that all children identified by the Long-Term Recovery Committee receive gifts. The county is also working with Love Thy Neighbor Service Organization and the South Texas Literacy Coalition to provide new shoes and books for the children, in addition to the toys collected. Toys will be distributed the week of December 20, 2010.
• Financial Advisory Services – County Commissioners heard presentations by the financial advisory firms of Estrada-Hinojosa and First Southwest in response to the county’s request for proposals (RFP) for financial advisory services to direct and coordinate the county’s issuance of debt instruments. The firms each lauded their experience, ties to the community, and financial advisory accomplishments. The county will now complete the grading/scoring process to select the top-ranked firm to provide financial advisory services.
• Independent Audit Services – County Commissioners requested a presentation from the firm currently providing Independent Audit Services before deliberating an option to renew the existing contract.
• Drainage Audit – County Commissioners directed the County Auditor to conduct a financial audit of the Drainage District finances.
Other notable county business included the approval of purchase of policies for Group Term Life-Accidental Death and Dismemberment with the top-ranked firm, and assigning committees to review architectural services (for design and construction of an additional administration building) and engineering services (on-call for the Hidalgo County Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Regional Mobility Authority).
Commissioners’ Court will be rebroadcast this evening at 10:00 pm on KMBH-TV:• Over-the-air, Channel 38 Digital Television (to digital TV sets, equipped with a built-in tuner or a top set box).• Cable, Channel 10 through Timer Warner Cable.• DirecTV, Channel 60 (local channels package).• Echostar (Dish Network) Channel 7661 (local channels package).