Open Government

How to Request Public Information

Texas Government Code, Section 522, gives you the right to records held by this governmental body. You may ask for copies of governmental records or to review records. Access to these records are governed by the Texas Public Information Act. Exceptions may apply to the public disclosure of certain information.

Governmental bodies shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision, or information for which an exception to disclosure has not been sought.

To request information from Hidalgo County, please visit our Public Information Request and Procedures website for instructions. Please note, Elected Officials and appointed members are the custodians of their own records. Please contact them directly.

Your request will be answered in a timely manner as prescribed in the Public Information Act.

You may be billed in accordance with state laws for the information you have requested. 

Documents Such as Birth/Death Certificates, Marriage Licenses, Deeds, Wills, Etc.

The Texas Public Information Act refers to administrative documents held by the governmental body, such as budgets, correspondence, or payroll information (just to name a few examples).

However, Hidalgo County Public Affairs receives many misguided requests for records from people seeking official recorded information. If you are requesting items such as birth and death certificates, marriage licenses, deeds, copies of wills, Commissioners Court minutes or other official records filings such as foreclosures, DBAs or subdivision plats, please contact the Hidalgo County Clerk's Office at (956) 318-2100.

Links for information on how to obtain various documents:

Judicial and Law Enforcement Records

Law Enforcement Records

For copies of law enforcement records such as police reports, jail records or warrants, please refer to the appropriate county law enforcement agency -- either the Hidalgo County Sheriff's Office or a constables' office.

Court Documents

Texas courts are part of the judicial branch of Texas government. The Public Information Act (PIA) does not apply the courts.
Access to court case records is governed by common law, statutory law and court rules. Generally, the custodian of court case records is the clerk of the court. Neither the Office of the Texas Attorney General nor the Texas Office of Court Administration can consider appeals from denials of access to court case records.

Access to judicial records (records other than court case records) is governed by Rule 12 of the Rules of Judicial Administration. The custodian of judicial records is usually the judge of the court. Please refer to Rule 12 of the Rules of Judicial Administration for more detailed information on how to request these types of records.