FAQ - Discussions on Election Topics

Electioneering Notice

April 2018 FAQ of the Month

1.) Is a person able to change their address at the polling location?
2.) Is a person able to vote at the new address at that time?
3.) Why are they are not able to vote at the new address at that time? 
As per Texas Election Code Section 15.025. the registration of the voter whose information is changed on the registration records becomes effective as to the change on the 30th day  after:
 (1) the data the voter submits to the registrar a notice of a change of registration information  under Section 15.021 or a response under Section 15.053, indicating the change; or 
(2) the date the voter submits a statement of residence to an election officer under Section 63.0011 or a registration application or change of address to an agency  employee under Chapter 20, indicating the change. 
After the voter submits the change of address, or Statement of Residence (SOR) at the polling location, the Elections Department processes the change and sends the information to the Secretary of State's Office (SOS) so that they can update the state database.  On or before the 30th day of making the address change, the Elections Department mails the voter a new and updated Voter Certificate and now the voter will be able to vote using their new address. 

May 2018 FAQ of the Month

1. How can a voter change their address or change other information listed on the Election's voter database?

  • One way to change information is to make the change on the actual voter certificate that is received in the mail every two years. Simply write the change of address or change of name on the back of the card, place in an envelope and mail to the Elections Department at 101 S. 10th Ave., Edinburg, Texas 78539 or P.O. Box 659, Edinburg, Texas 78542.  Be sure to sign your name on the signature line to affirm the changes. 
  • Another way to make changes is to walk in to the office and request to make a change. You would be given a regular application and would be asked to check off the appropriate box. The choices are:
  1. New Application
  2. Change of Address, Name or Other Information
  3. Request for Replacement Card
You must fill out the entire application, but changes will only be made to the information that is different from the database. 

  • You may also make a change at your local Department of Public Safety Office when updating your license information. The DPS clerk will ask if you would like them to send the Elections Office the change of information.  Say "yes!"  When renewing your license Online DPS, there will be a link that will ask you if you want this change to be submitted to the Election's Department. To make this change online, you must have your certificate or VUID number.  Call the office to obtain this certificate number before going on line to make your changes. 
  • You may also call the office at (956)318-2570 and request that an application be mailed to you.  Once received, follow the steps listed above in the second bullet and mail it back to the Elections Office. 
Once the information is processed, a new voter's certificate is mailed to the voter with the  updated information. Discard your old voter certificate, as it is no longer valid.  

Additional Information:  Does the Elections Department ask for identification when a voter changes their address?

No, the Texas Election Code does not allow the Elections Department to investigate a residential address as stated in Section 16.033 Cancellation following investigation by registrar.  (a) The registrar may use any lawful means to investigate whether a registered voter is currently eligible for registration in the county, but the Texas Election Code does not authorize an investigation of eligibility that is based solely on residence when the voter registers to vote for the first time and when the voter submits a change of address. 

For any further questions or explanations, please contact us (956)318-2570.