Welcome to the Hidalgo County 2020 Census portal where you will find information regarding the 2020 Census process, local efforts, strategies, and 2020 Census committees’ information.
The upcoming 2020 Census enumeration process will directly impact and define our community for the next decade. Census Bureau figures are used for the appropriation of federal funds, the apportionment of US House of Representative seats, state legislature and other local entities representation. Additionally, Census Bureau figures are now commonly used by many in the public and private sector for business decisions that impact our future growth.
Our goal is to provide 2020 Census timeline information, share news of a local area office that will open 2019 in McAllen, identify and target areas of low response, and develop a strategy to make sure everyone is counted.
In The News:
- April 03, 2018, NPR - 17 States, 7 Cities Sue To Remove Citizenship Question From 2020 Census
- March 30, 2018, New York Times - Census Bureau's Own Expert Panel Rebukes Decision to Add Citizenship Question
- March 30, 2018, NPR - Democrats Call For Senate Hearing Over 2020 Census And Citizenship Question
- March 27, 2018 Rio Grande Guardian – Border Leaders Concerned About Citizenship Question on 2020 Census
- March 27, 2018 New York Times – If Census Asks About Citizenship, Some Already Have an Answer: No Comment
- March 28, 2018 The Monitor - Severe Census undercounts feared - Local advocates say citizenship question would scare many away
- March 27, 2018 New York Times - At Least Twelve States to Sue Trump Administration Over Census Citizenship Question
- March 28, 2018 The Hill – Dem Lawmaker Says She Will Introduce Bill to Block 2020 Census From Asking About Citizenship
Questions or comments:
Erika Reyna-Velazquez, Assistant Chief of Staff
Hidalgo County Judge’s Office
100 E Cano, 2nd Floor
Edinburg, TX 78541
Tel: (956) 318-2600
Email: [email protected]