Welcome to the Hidalgo County 2020 Census portal where you will find information regarding the 2020 Census process, local efforts, strategies, and 2020 Census committees’ information.
The upcoming 2020 Census enumeration process will directly impact and define our community for the next decade. Census Bureau figures are used for the appropriation of federal funds, the apportionment of US House of Representative seats, state legislature and other local entities representation. Additionally, Census Bureau figures are now commonly used by many in the public and private sector for business decisions that impact our future growth.
Our goal is to provide 2020 Census timeline information, share news of a local area office that will open 2019 in McAllen, identify and target areas of low response, and develop a strategy to make sure everyone is counted.
Countdown to the 2020 Census
Hidalgo County Population Growth
New Construction Permits filed in the rural areas of Hidalgo County since the July 18, 2018 LUCA submission date:
In The News:
- July 30, 2018 NPR - Bankrupt Contractor Will Get $5.5 Million For Not Printing 2020 Census Forms
- July 24, 2018 The Wall Street Journal - 2020 Census Comes With New Technology, but Greater Risks
- July 18, 2018 The Wall Street Journal - White House to Nominate Steven Dillingham as Census Director
- July 18, 2018 The HIll - Census Bureau faces hiring woes amid low unemployment
- July 4, 2018 Washington Times - People who refuse to answer 2020 census citizenship question unlikely to be prosecuted
- July 3, 2018 NPR - Latest On Census Lawsuits In Court
- July 3, 2018 The Hill - Judge orders Trump admin to explain how it decided to add citizenship question to census
- June 28, 2018 NPR - Experts Worried That 2020 Census Will Undercount Number Of Children
- June 27, 2018 AECF - One Million Missing: Undercount of Young Kids in 2020 Census Threatens Gains
- June 26, 2018 USA Today- Count all kids in the 2020 Census. Getting it wrong will hurt children for 10 years.
- May 31, 2018 The Texas Tribune - Texas Hispanic groups sue Trump administration over census citizenship question
- May 29, 2018 USA Herald - Phoenix Joins Lawsuit to Stop Inclusion of Citizenship Question on 2020 Census
- May 8, 2018 USA Today - Lawmakers agree to issue subpoena for Justice Department no-show regarding Census question
- May 2, 2018,The Monitor - EDITORIAL: Hidalgo, Cameron counties bold to join census lawsuit
- April 27, 2018, NPR - Skipping The 2020 Census Citizenship Question? You'll Still Be Counted
- April 24, 2018,NPR - Democrats Push For Internal Documents On 2020 Census Citizenship Question