Fair Housing/Discrimination Complaint

HUD is ready to help with any problem of housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated, you may write a letter or telephone the HUD office nearest you. You have one year after the discrimination allegedly occurred or ended to file a complaint with HUD, but you should file it as soon as possible.

HUDs link to report fair housing complaint:

The Texas Workforce Commission Civil Rights Division enforces the Texas Fair Housing Act (TFHA), which has been codified into Texas Property Code, Chapter 301, and investigates discriminatory housing practices. If you believe you have been discriminated against based on your race, religion, color, sex (includes sexual harassment), national origin, disability or familial status (includes presence of children under the age of 18 and pregnancy) and someone:
  • Refused to rent to you or sell you housing;
  • Told you housing was unavailable when in fact it was available;
  • Showed you apartments or homes only in certain neighborhoods;
  • Refused to provide you with information regarding mortgage loans, denied you a mortgage loan, or imposed different terms or conditions on a mortgage loan;
  • Denied you property insurance;
  • Conducted property appraisals in a discriminatory manner;
  • Refused to make certain modifications or accommodations for persons with a mental or physical disability;
  • Failed to design and construct housing in an accessible manner; or
  • Harassed, coerced, intimidated or interfered with your fair housing rights with you assisting others in exercising their fair housing rights,
TWCCRD may have jurisdiction to investigate your claim.

Workforce Solutions link to discrimination complaint: