Due to the rain season approaching us, the Commissioner along with our Vector Division have been larvaciting standing water in order to eliminate and/or control the mosquito population. Precinct One experiences a high volume of calls for mosquito spraying and our Vector Division sprays according to the needs of our calls.
We ask that all of our constituents keep children and pets away from any standing water and ditches near by that may have been treated. Please dump any standing water in your yard to ensure that there are no areas contributing to the breeding of mosquitoes. Keep in mind our Vector Division usually sprays late at night for safety and health issues. The flooded areas in our precinct have also been treated with pills or briquets that dissolve and kill the larvae. We do not spray when it is raining since the chemical will no longer be effective. We also do not fumigate too often since the mosquitoes become immune to the chemicals. If you are experiencing problems with mosquitoes please call our office to report it and our staff will create a work order to send our vector specialist to assist your needs. Below are a few tips that can help control mosquito population.
Recommendations to our Constituents:
- Dispose old tires, cans, buckets, bottles, or any containers that can hold water.
- Fill in with dirt or drain any low places in the yard.
- Keep drains, ditches free of weeds and trash so that water can be drained properly.
- Keep gutters clean.
- Cover trash cans to keep out water.
- Repair leaky pipes.
- Change water in bird baths and plant pots at least once a week.
- Fix screen on windows and doors; make sure they are tightly fitted.
For more information contact Hidalgo County Pct. 1 Vector Division at 956-968-8733.